Landlords Rights

We hope your experience of lodgers will be hassle free, and you will not need to take any sort of legal or other action against them. But, unfortunately, this is not always the case. It’s possible that you’ll experience quite a few lodger troubles - associated with lodgers struggling to pay the lease as a consequence of loss of job or perhaps relationship breakdown, or lodgers which may have no notion of making payments on the rent promptly and in full.

Before taking a legal action to evict your lodger, one or more of the following courses of action may be necessary.

Landlords resolving issues with lodgers

» Step 1 - Speak to them

The first step towards resolving any issues, is to speak to the lodger. Are they breaking any house rules? Are they paying the rent on time?
Make sure your lodger is aware if any house rules have been broken. Having discussion with your lodger may resolve the problem.


 » Step 3 - Write Second more formal letter

If you initial chat didn’t bring any changes or your note was ignored, you may try to write a second more formal letter. Or maybe you have gained some results, but your lodger has gone back to his old habits. Make your second letter more formal than the first one.
You should also warn your lodger that if things does not improve on permanent basis, you will be asking him to leave the property.

Please note that you don’t have to write a second letter, if you have already decided that you want your lodger to leave the property. You can skip this step and issue a formal notice to leave.
Your lodger may change his attitude if you threat him to leave. However, if the problem persists, you should seriously consider asking him to leave. After all, this is your house.

Here is an example of a second more formal letter to your lodger:


 Dear ….

 Two weeks ago I’ve warned you that you miss to pay the rent on time, and even not have paid the rent in full this week. Let me remind you that, its really important for me and my family that we receive the rent in full, and on time ,as this ensures bills are paid on time. If this problem persists, I’m afraid that I’m left with no option but to ask you to leave.

 Yours Sincerely

[Your name and signature]



writing warning letter to Lodgers

  Giving formal notice to Lodgers

» Step 2 - Writing a letter or note

If talking to the lodger has not resolved the issue, the next sensible thing you can do is to put your concerns in writing. This may prove the best way of communicating to your lodger, especially when your lodger is out most of the time and is difficult to find time to speak to him.
You may also find it easier to put your complaint in writing, especially when you feel the lodger does not listen to you and intimidates you.

Here is an example of what a note of concern may look like:


Dear …..

I would like to bring to your attention that you continuously miss to pay the rent on time.

Can I stress the importance of paying the rent on time as this ensures that I also pay promptly

any service providers, such as : gas, water, broadband, electricity. This also ensures that we don’t get cut off of any dependable services. Thank you for your understanding.

[Your name and signature]


» Step 4 - Giving Formal notice to leave

If none of the above steps didn’t help you to resolve the issues with your lodger, you’ll be better of asking him to leave. Normally the notice period specified in your agreement should not be less than 28 days, and if you have no agreement at all, this is more than enough time to give your lodger.

However, that really depends on the nature of the problem. For more serious problems that are likely to lead to violence, you should give shorter notice.

Please also note that, if violence occurs you should inform the police immediately. This will also help you later if you need to evict your lodger as there will be a documented history of violence and the police are more likely to co-operate with you.

In cases of rent arrears, if you are using a printed agreement, this should state the lodger’s right to occupy the property will end automatically if he is in arrears of rent of two months. However, you still have to give your lodger formal letter asking him to vacate the property.



Please note: This information may only be suitable for lodgers, where they share living accommodation ( e.g. kitchen, bathroom, reception room) with you. If this is not the case, you should seek legal advice.

Related Topics:
Tenants Rights

Exclusion of Liability and Disclaimer 

The material contained on this website is set out in good faith for general guidance and no liability can be accepted for loss or expense incurred as a result of relying in particular circumstances on statements made on this website. While every effort has been made to ensure that this website provides guidance, it is impossible to predict all the circumstances in which it may be used. Accordingly, readers should check current laws and regulations before making any personal arrangements.

Rate Page: Landlords Rights

4 stars 4 from 6 votes.